Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Tree

Grabbing her by her skinny little trunk I dragged her across the living room floor. I opened the balcony doors – both of them – and heaved her out. She crashed against a table with a thud, wobbled unsteadily three or four times and then came to a rest.

‘Stay out here and die, you thief of light,’ I barked. ‘You overgrown deciduous bully!’

I’d never imagined that an avocado seed could spawn such a chlorophylliated monstrosity. So tiny and fragile in youth, a full blown forest five years later. Even with prudential trimming and pruning she had managed to envelope both of the living room windows. Completely. Absolutely. Limbs sprouted hydra-like from seemingly everywhere. Leaves the size of tennis racquets. Furniture was first displaced and then disposed of. In the end I felt like I was living in an emerald green cavern. I, the human, was becoming etiolated.

It was early autumn; that night the temperature dipped below freezing. I could feel it through my blankets, see it etched in frost runes across my bedroom window. I slept restively.

The morning after I felt unwell, I was stricken with angst. Stumbling through my bedroom door the living room was now a blazing cauldron of untamed photons, the window now naked. I staggered across the floor, blinded, to the balcony. She lay on her side, tossed by stormy winds, beaten by the rain. Earth spilled out of her pot, dark, chocolate brown.

I opened the balcony doors – both of them – picked her up and dragged her back in. I patted down her leaves with a soft cloth. I gave her fresh new earth. Had the frost bitten? Was it too late?

I stood her once again before the living room windows.

‘I’m getting some coffee,’ I said. ‘Can I get you anything?’ I got no reply.

5 comments:

  1. you poor self-etiolated man.
    this piece had me concerned, chuckling, and just plain enjoying reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammie. As with most things I write about there is an underlying truth to the story. The bottom (recent) photo is The Beast herself. As you can see, she survived. She is one of my best friends; no one better at listening than she ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you saved her. We do fall out with the ones we love sometimes don't we! This months Festival of the Trees is about trees that fruit this month. Do you participate?

    http://festivalofthetrees.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one magnificent plant... How could you just throw her out into the cold like that?
    People would spend a fortune in the UK for a lovely plant like that!
    I am glad you took pity on her and brought her back indoors, into the warm again. :-)
    I really like the way you write. You should really write a book and illustrate it.
    Good to visit you here!

    ReplyDelete