Thursday, March 29, 2007

Ratso (aka Monna Honna)


This is my cute cat post. Every blog should have one. This particular cat belongs to the downstairs neighbour. She likes, however, to come up and visit us and claw the living crap out of me. The cat, not the neighbor. Kitty's downstairs name is Gråpus, which is Norwegian for Grey Puss. Not very original. So I renamed her Ratso, which oddly enough sits a lot better than ‘grey cat’. I also refer to her as Monna Honna when the mood strikes, but that’s kind of an inside joke. When I call out Monna Honna Heena Honna she knows I’m ready for a rumble. It’s our little code phrase. The ears go back, the claws come out and my gloves go on.
Ratso likes to sit in large bowls on our kitchen table (when she’s not busy tearing my hands and arms to shreds) and stare out the window at passing cars. I don’t know why she does this and I’m not sure she does either. She also enjoys playing with Lego.
This is her fifteen minutes . . .

5 comments:

  1. This is a great photo as well as a great story.

    Glad you are back to posting. I love your work. And that Fleetwood Mac album cover is indeed amazing. I am gratified it came to mind when you saw my painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Son - Ratso? Like Midnight Cowboy? hence the scratches. Every cat has several lives and personas (as do humans - do you know 'Six Dinners Sid?') Monna Honna likes you - to be adopted by a cat's an honour. Best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowena – Thanks for the fine comments. Always a pleasure to drop in and see the latest Flying Girl paintings. Interesting how the Flying Girl mythos grows and expands. To use a word from my youth – what a neat idea. And how prolific you are. I feel like a slug compared to many of the blogs I visit.

    Kate - Yeah, I probably snapped up Ratso from Midnight Cowboy. What was his name? Ratso Rizzo? I like the sound of it. Haven’t heard of 'Six Dinners Sid?' A recommendation for a nine-year-old (Son of Son of Incogneato)?
    I’ve always felt a strange kind of affiliation with cats. I appreciate their grace and their Zen-like detachedness. I possess little grace but am about as detached as you can get and still function in the real world. I feel extremely honoured to be adopted by Monna Honna. And I have the scars to prove it . . .

    Son

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brother of the son of incogneatoNovember 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM

    Incogneato: as you well know your cat worship has its beginning under the guidence of the fabled WHITE TRASH, killer of many small mammels and one the top 10 felines of the past 60 years. She watches from afar with amusement and hope that you can carry forward the many lessons she taught you in your formative years. We all can only try to meet such lofty expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo Brother of!
    You can be sure that young Ratso is being initiated into the secrets of the White Trash Cult. I’ve got the scars to prove it. It should also be clear by my use of the covert phrase ‘Monna Honna Heena Honna’, which, in less I am mistaken, you are the original author of. Say no more, nod, nod, wink, wink.

    All bow down in the memory of the illustrious White Trash, Queen of All Cats.
    - Son

    ReplyDelete